Boak & Bailey are asking bloggers to “take a notebook to a pub or bar — any one you fancy — and write a note of what you observe” for the 113th gathering of The Session (July 1).
Their inspiration is The Pub and The People, published in 1943.
What should you be looking for?
- How many people are drinking?
- Which beers are on tap, and which are people actually drinking?
- What are they eating?
- How are they passing the time?
- What are the topics of conversation?
- How is the pub decorated?
- How many TVs are there and what are they showing?
- Are there pot plants, parrots, spittoons?
- How many smokers are there? And vapers?
- Is there a dartboard, pool table or quiz machine, and are they in use?
And the point? “As a chaser, after your observations, write whatever you like spurred by the idea of ‘The Pub and The People’. Really, whatever you like, as vaguely related to theme as it might be. Or instead of making any observations, even.”